Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Maybe not the wall?

Well, so it may not actually be the wall that we found. So let's call it a rampart structure. The archaeologists are still debating about it. Either way it is a huge find and very impressive. It now takes up half of our square and we are opening a new square Y10 tomorrow. We only have a few days to dig so I bet we will pretty hard.

Wednesdays we always stop at the store. It is an exciting day for the dig!

I have been jogging slowly again. I jog to this iron age tel and usually pass a huge flock of sheep and goats with their bedouin shepherd and dogs. It is great! Except I dont like dogs and today there were two and I laid on the ground so that they wouldnt see me and I hiked to the other side of the tel and ran home. hahah. I am sure they were nice dogs...but I dont take any chances... I made it back to dinner to have pizza.

Today we hardly did that much. The parks authorities came out and they had a huge meeting at our square. It is a dangerous hole in the ground and the dig was getting permission on what we can do next. After we leave they will have to build a fence around it and bring in a bull dozer to slope the ground out around it so that people wont just fall in to the pit.

We open a new square tomorrow Y10. This is at the north end so that we might see more of this structure.

We are over 4 1/2 meters down and in the bottom of the square it is very hot, flies everywhere, and anys now. We dont feel the breeze so we constantly have to climb up to feel some fresh air! Tomorrow though we will be working at a quicker pace I hope.

Its hard to believe this dig is coming to an end soon!

No comments: